Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Limit ssh commands to rdiff-backup

From: Michael Hannon
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Limit ssh commands to rdiff-backup
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 17:34:10 -0800

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 04:53:08PM -0500, Steve Annessa wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to limit the commands ssh runs to rdiff-backup.
>
> I added the commands option to my authorized_key file, and it literally runs
> the command listed. Has anyone successfully limited ssh commands this way
> with rdiff-backup? What am I doing wrong? Is it just not possible?
>
> I push from Server_N to Server_Backup. It goes from address@hidden to
> address@hidden

Hi, Steve.  I don't know the answer to your question, but we do
something that I think is in the same spirit: we set up an ssh trust
relationship from root on the primary machine to an unprivileged user on
the backup machine:

    address@hidden --> address@hidden

(This is an idea that I stole from the Amanda backup program.)

                                        - Mike
--
Michael Hannon            mailto:address@hidden
Dept. of Physics          530.752.4966