Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Lock file

From: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Lock file
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:17:45 +0100 (BST)

Hi Sebastien,

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Sebastien Maret wrote:

I use rdiff-backup to backup my home directory on a desktop computer
with a cron job. From time to time, the backup fails because of a lost
connection, for example when I move my laptop from one place to the
other.

When this occurs, the next backup fails because rdiff-backup believes
that there is still a process running, although it is not the case. Is
this a bug in the way rdiff-backup check if an other process is
running?

That's a bit annoying, because when this happens, I need to regress
the backup directory by hand before starting an other backup
process.

You could try changing your backup script so that it automatically runs check-destination-dir after each backup "finishes". Then, if the backup failed, you won't need to regress by hand. It also prevents you from accidentally running two backups at once, which will probably happen and corrupt your repository one day.

Cheers, Chris.
--