[rdiff-backup-users] Wrong [future] date on backup computer; rdiff-backu

From: gardyloo
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Wrong [future] date on backup computer; rdiff-backup fails
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 02:54:48 -0700

Hi, all,

     I've done a small amount of searching on the wiki and google, and
haven't found a solution. Perhaps someone can enlighten me!

     I rdiff-backup a couple of systems to a computer which runs SUSE
10.0 (the destination machine). Unfortunately, that computer happens to
have a combination of components which means that for a long time, its
clock was running twice as fast as it should. The time is now fixed. As
a consequence, backups done during that time were timestamped as being
up to a couple of weeks from now, *in the future*. Naturally,
rdiff-backup complains that "Time of Last [sic] backup is not in the
past..." and will halt.
     It is not a critical thing, as I can easily wait until a few weeks
elapse on the destination machine to back things up (meanwhile backing
up those source systems to somewhere else). I could also fiddle with
clocks. However, is there another way to back up nicely without losing
the old backups on that "future" computer? I'm a little leery that if I
use the 'force' option, the increments will be messed up.

             Regards,
                            Curtis O.

P.S. The wiki site seems to have been hit by some sort of
advertisement/linking robot (I'm not sure of the correct terminology)
which is putting some interesting links on there. For example, the page
http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki has
such things as "schoolgirl closeout" and "tits resellers". Neat! Looks
like a domain based in Poland.

Curtis Osterhoudt
address@hidden
PGP Key ID: 0x088E6D7A