Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restoring only permissions?

From: devzero
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Restoring only permissions?
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 01:41:21 +0200

Hi Micah,

this should be not too hard, imho. (in theory)

> everything? I tried to parse some of the meta-files but found that it
> was not that straight forwards.
could you describe your problem with this?

do a zcat mirror_metadata.{date}.snapshot.gz |egrep "File|Uid|Gid" and you will
see each file/directory followed by owner/group
(btw - question to rdiff-backup authors: why is permission stored in decimal ?
is this to save space?)

so - what you basically need is a script which reads this file, moves the lines
into variables and do the appropriate "chmod $Uid:$Gid $File" then.
indeed, this could be nice additional "restore-options" for rdiff-backup
(--restore-file-owner, --restore-file-permissions, --restore-file-metadata....)

regards
roland