Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup to LinkStation: *slow*

From: Felix E. Klee
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup to LinkStation: *slow*
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 23:17:33 +0200

At Fri, 26 May 2006 00:36:39 +0200,
Felix E. Klee wrote:
>   /tmp$ du -sh ls
>   398M    ls
>   /tmp$ find ls | wc -l
>   12772
>   /tmp$ time rdiff-backup ls/ address@hidden::/mnt/hda/share/test
>   address@hidden's password:
>
>   real    148m4.930s
>   user    0m13.059s
>   sys     0m3.196s

I've now installed OpenSSH on the LinkStation and done the same test:

~$ time rdiff-backup /tmp/ls address@hidden::/mnt/hda/share/test4
address@hidden's password:

real    14m9.354s
user    0m13.288s
sys     0m3.369s

=> Data rate increased by a factor of about *ten*.  This, however, is
probably due to the many small files.  I've also benchmarked copying
large files (with ssh and scp), and there speed increased by a factor of
about two.

So, it seems that backing up to the LinkStation with rdiff-backup is
viable after all.  Tonight, I plan to back up my laptop.  I'm curious to
see how well rdiff-backup performs in day to day use, when only a small
number of files changes.

--
Felix E. Klee