Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backing up the backup server [SOLVED]

From: dean gaudet
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backing up the backup server [SOLVED]
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:50:44 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Brian C wrote:

> Thanks Keith!
>
> Keith Edmunds wrote:
> [snip]
> > - if all else fails, set 'LogLevel' to 'DEBUG' in /etc/ssh/sshd_config,
> > restart the sshd daemon and post the results of a failed login from
> > /var/log/auth (or maybe 'syslog', depending on your setup).
>
> This idea showed the problem. Even though when contacting the remote server I
> needed the "from" portion of /root/.ssh/authorized_keys to be the bizarre
> result of dig -x my.ip.add.res (which comes back as
> node-########.sfo.onnet.us.uu.net which I presume is what my DSL provider
> calls my static IP despite it resolving via DNS to something totally
> different) when connecting locally the "from" portion needed to be my regular
> hostname.domainname.tld.

this is because you probably have an entry for your local address in
/etc/hosts which overrides the dns... in my docs i actually recommend just
using localhost when backing up the localhost...

as for the sudo problems you had you should make sure that you got the
exact same command line in /etc/sudoers as you specify as the fake
hostname for rdiff-backup... if you have any difference at all sudo
silently fails by asking you for your password and logging an error (check
your /var/log/secure or /var/log/auth or something depending on your
setup).

if the command is identical then maybe look at whether your sudo somehow
has NOPASSWD disabled... there's probably some way to increase sudo
logging verbosity as well.

fwiw sudo is higher performance for localhost because it avoids
encryption.

-dean