Re: [rdiff-backup-users] --compare gave me "Fatal Error: Mirror metadata

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] --compare gave me "Fatal Error: Mirror metadata not found"
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 22:42:47 -0600

> $ rdiff-backup --compare luis_backup::/home/luis/projects
> /backups/luis_projects
>
> Warning: ownership cannot be changed on filesystem at
> /backups/luis_projects/rdiff-backup-data
> Warning, metadata file not found.
> Metadata will be read from filesystem.
> Fatal Error: Mirror metadata not found

The --compare option needs to find an
rdiff-backup-data/mirror_metadata.xxx file, dated to the time you are
comparing.  I'm not sure why it's missing from your system.  One
possibility is that the repository was made by an older version
(before 0.11.x?) , which did not write a mirror_metadata file.

The new devel version has a few more compare options, some of which
don't need a mirror_metadata file, but the stable version only does
the "fast" compare, which requires that file.