[rdiff-backup-users] Re: newbie can't get rdiff-backup to run correctly

From: David Kågedal
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: newbie can't get rdiff-backup to run correctly
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 23:16:27 +0200

Wiebe Cazemier <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kågedal wrote:
>> Because reply-to specifies the address to send replies back to the
>> sender of the original mail.  Why would the mailing list software
>> change that when the sender is the only one who could possible have an
>> opinion about it?
>> When writing an answer to an email to a mailing, you either want to
>> send a reply to the person who wrote the email, or you want to send a
>> follow-up to the list.  There is no way for the mailing list software
>> to guess what you might want to do, and mailing lists that add a
>> reply-to that points to the list effectively removes one of the two
>> choices for you.
>
> That may be, this is the only mailing list I'm active on which does that.
> When
> you ask a question in a public place, it would make sense to put the answer
> there too, for others to see, right? If no-one would send replies back to the
> list, you'd get a list full of questions, but no answers. That shouldn't be
> the
> case... IMO, the default reply address should be that of the list.

Then send your reply to the list instead of to the sender.  As I said,
it's up to you to send your follow-up to the destination you intend,
and your mailer should be able to help you with that.  But, as I said,
nobody but yourself knows if you want to send something to the sender
of the mail you're commenting, or to the list.

--
David Kågedal