Re: [rdiff-backup-users] TypeError: unsubscriptable object (cfile['creat

From: Kevin Horton
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:45:36 -0400

On 16 Oct 2005, at 13:01, Ben Escoto wrote:

Kevin Horton <address@hidden>
wrote the following on Sun, 16 Oct 2005 08:45:06 -0400

This patch seems to stop the crash.  I did an incremental backup, and
now I get a bunch of UpdateErrors like this:

UpdateError Desktop/RV_Stuff/POH archive/graphs/all-3.gp Updated
mirror temp file /Volumes/Ext_BU/Users/kwh/rdiffbu/Desktop/RV_Stuff/
POH archive/graphs/rdiff-backup.tmp.7305 does not match source

The file listed in the first of these UpdateErrors was the one that
was causing the crash before I started using the --no-carbonfile
flag.  I assume the backed up file would have included the
carbonfile data if that flag had not been used, and this is why
rdiff-backup is now complaining about the file not matching the
source.  Does this make sense?

Yes, the problem was rdiff-backup was getting filesystem errors trying
to read the carbonfile data.  Without the patch this would have
crashed rdiff-backup; with the patch rdiff-backup just skips the file
that raised the error.

So, now that we know which files are causing errors, maybe you have an
opinion on which option would be better.  Here are two things I can do
despite not having any knowledge of Mac OS:

1)  Apply (variant of) that patch.  Files that cause carbonfile errors
    would just never get backed up.

2)  Apply patch, and by default turn carbonfile off.  rdiff-backup
    would just ignore carbonfile information so there would be no
    carbonfile errors.  If run with the --enable-carbonfile switch it
    would act like 1).

It seems that at the moment we have a choice of backing up those files, but without the carbonfile information, or not backing up the files at all. I believe the default should be to back up the files, but ignore the carbonfile information - i.e. your option 2. In my case, these files are completely useable without the carbonfile information.

I also believe it is extremely important for users to be aware of which files are not being backed up. If this patch is added to rdiff- backup, it would be important to have rdiff-backup report the files that are not being backed up so the user can determine whether to accept that, or to back them up via some other tool. Users who assume that every file is being backed up and then have to do a restore will be very upset if they discover that important files are missing.

Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada