Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Write-once read-many problem

From: dean gaudet
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Write-once read-many problem
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 23:24:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Ben Escoto wrote:

> > i'm tempted to change it so that a command line option is required
> > to enable the mode futzing... by default i'd really prefer backup
> > and restore sources be completely read-only.
>
> Well I'd prefer that the default behavior stay the same.  It is
> somewhat unfortunate, but by default the setup I mentioned above
> should work.

actually in the case of the mirror copy there's technically no longer any
need for the modes to be correct -- thanks to the metadata files... i'm
doing all my backups using a non-root user on the backup server (obviously
still need root on the host being backed up).  in this case i'd really
rather be loose with the mode on the mirror and thus ensure restores never
need to write the mirror.

> Does it still mess with the permissions when run as root?  As root I
> would hope it realizes it doesn't need to change anything.

i hope it doesn't... but yeah i don't know, i haven't looked lately.  (on
slow dialup now or i'd probably do some hacking :)

-dean