[rdiff-backup-users] will rdiff-backup work if no single backup session

From: Adam Megacz
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] will rdiff-backup work if no single backup session is long enough to finish?
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 13:54:07 -0700

Hey, I'm in the process of transitioning from "rsync --backup" to
rdiff-backup mainly so I can get trustworthy backups of my laptop's
Mac HFS+ partition (with metadata) onto a linux server (ext2, no
resource fork capabilities).

The partition I'm backing up is really big and consists of oodles of
tiny files.  I really liked the fact that rsync was still useful even
when I'm rarely connected to the network in a single place long enough
to run a full backup (ie open() every file) -- by checking timestamps
rsync can get useful work done even if I only run it for 10-15 minutes
at a time, and if I run it often enough, my backup still occasionally
reaches parity with the source.  Most of my backup sessions end up
getting killed (ctrl-c) because I need to disconnect my laptop.  Only
a few run to completion.

I'm having trouble getting rdiff-backup to do the same thing.  It
seems that if I kill an rdiff-backup session, it simply throws away
all the work its done in that session.  This means that the amount of
work left to do never gets small enough that it can be accomplished in
a single session, so ultimately instead of only occasionally being up
to date, my backup is never up to date.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there some flag I can add to make
rdiff-backup more incremental?

  - a

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380