Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup + smbfs = :'(

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup + smbfs = :'(
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:59:40 -0700

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 06:11:00PM -0700, Marc Provitt wrote:
> my GUESS is this is why it's b0rking on trying to erase that directory. What
> I don't get is; why, when I do the same thing on an NFS mount, do the
> python2.3 processes not hang onto the directory and when I use SMBFS it
> fails this way?

Guess: on NFS it's holding onto the directory as well, it's just that
UNIX filesystem semantics allow you to delete an open object (and the
kernel does some clever reference counting things to make this work),
while Win32 filesystem semantics do not.  So what it's doing is legal
on a UNIX filesystem like NFS, but not on a Win32 filesystem like
SMBFS.

-- Nathaniel

--
  /* Tell the world that we're going to be the grim
   * reaper of innocent orphaned children.