RE: [rdiff-backup-users] Still thinking about windows

From: Törrönen, Paul-Erik
Subject: RE: [rdiff-backup-users] Still thinking about windows
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:24:31 +0200

Just a word of warning.

I got the rdiff-backup to work on Cygwin + Windows but ran into
OS-specific problems which got me to change the backup-system
to a Linux. Specifically the differences/deficiencies in NTFS
which does not really support case-sensitivity, different sets
of special characters in filenames. Also it seems that Cygwin
does not support path+filenames longer than 255 characters.

One reason why I ran into these problems were that I did
an almost full backup of the remote-host. If you only
plan to backup a small subset of the system then it should
work a ok.

Oh yes, I used the rdiff-0.11.0 on Cygwin.

BTW Ben: For some strange reason, your messages are all
received as mail-attachments with the text included as
a text-file. The reason is that your mailtype is received
as multipart-mixed. Is this configured in your end, or
does our Exchange munge your messages (wouldn't be suprised).

Poltsi

Poltsi

Paul-Erik Törrönen
Cardinal Information Systems Ltd
Pursimiehenkatu 29-31 C, 00150 Helsinki, FINLAND
E-mail: address@hidden
Mobile: +358 (0) 40 703 1231
Phone: +358 (0) 424 162 4204
Fax: +358 (0) 424 162 4207