Re: [RP] New user questions & suggestions

From: J.R. Mauro
Subject: Re: [RP] New user questions & suggestions
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:30:58 -0400

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Phil Endecott
<address@hidden> wrote:
> J.R. Mauro wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Phil Endecott
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> 2. It would be great if the documentation either listed the default
>>> keybinding for each command in the command index, or listed the command name
>>> for each keybinding in the default key bindings page.
>>
>> Try 'C-t ?' I think this dumps what you want.
>
> OK, thanks.  This looks like it's a static description of the default
> bindings.  Can I copy&paste it?

I don't think so. The man page also has the (default) list of
bindings, as does the wiki.

>>> 3. I decided that rather than the C-t prefix I'd use one of the
>>> otherwise-useless extra modifier keys.  I chose the one to the right of
>>> the
>>> keyboard with a menu symbol on it.  I set this up by putting this in my
>>> .xmodmap:
>>>
>>> keycode 117 = Hyper_R
>>> add Mod3 = Hyper_R
>>>
>>> Then I had to replicate all of the existing root-keymap bindings in a new
>>> top-keymap with the H- modifier.  It would be been great if I could have
>>> dumped the existing keybindings, and piped them through sed or awk, to do
>>> this.  But doing it by hand was a good way to discover all the commands I
>>> suppose.  Anyway, pressing e.g. Hyper-0 seems a lot simpler than C-t 0,
>>> especially on this cramped keyboard.
>>
>> I believe there's a simpler way to change C-t to something else.
>
> You can change C-t to another key, but I think it still has to be a prefix
> that you press-and-release before the command key; you can't change to a
> modifier key which you hold down with the command key, as I understand it.

Ah, that's harder. Although it might be in the wiki, too.

>>> 5. Say I have four terminals running in four frames.  If I want to "zoom
>>> in"
>>> to one of them I can "only" it.  But I don't see a way to "zoom out"
>>> again,
>>> i.e. I can't undo or otherwise reverse the "only" command.  Also, maybe
>>> I'd
>>> like to really zoom in (i.e. increase the font size).  I could imagine
>>> tiling the window with small terminals, and then zooming in so that the
>>> other terminals are still in the same relative positions but off the
>>> screen.
>>>  Does that make any sense to anyone?  Maybe it's not a ratpoison thing,
>>> but
>>> I think it could still be useful especially on small screens.
>>
>> Look for my recent posting of the expose.pl in the archives (last month or
>> the
>> month before). There might be commands in there to help you do what you
>> want.
>
> I'll have a look, thanks.

Be prepared, it's icky perl :-P

>>> 6. Totally off-topic: if anyone knows how to change the font size that
>>> Firefox uses for its menu bar and status bar, or better still how to get
>>> rid
>>> of the menu bar entirely, I'd love to hear from you!  All those wasted
>>> pixels.....
>>
>> I would recommend installing the Vimperator plugin. Firefox will then
>> never need
>> the rat, save for text selection.
>
> Right.  Actually I'm not unhappy with the mouse; it's just the screen area
> that I'd like to get back.  BTW since ratpoison is a bit more "Emacs" than
> "vi", maybe conkeror would be of more interest here than Vimperator?

Actually, you might want. When I started using screen, I was a little
miffed that
it used emacs-y bindings (I take the editor war very seriously, and I am on Bram
and Bill's side, not Richard's). A wise friend explained that this was
a good thing:
emacs-y screen bindings will not clobber my daily usage of Vim. Vim firefox
bindings will likewise not be hampered by Ratpoison's emacs-y bindings.

Vimperator has the advantage of just being a plugin, not a standalone app.

Please note, I don't mean to argue against something the RP maintainer
works on: to be fair you might want to try both and use what works best for you.
You might especially like Conkeror if you're on the other side of the
editor war ;-)