Re: [RP] New user questions & suggestions

From: Phil Endecott
Subject: Re: [RP] New user questions & suggestions
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:40:19 +0100

J.R. Mauro wrote:
On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Phil Endecott
<address@hidden> wrote:
2. It would be great if the documentation either listed the default keybinding for each command in the command index, or listed the command name for each keybinding in the default key bindings page.

Try 'C-t ?' I think this dumps what you want.

OK, thanks. This looks like it's a static description of the default bindings. Can I copy&paste it?

3. I decided that rather than the C-t prefix I'd use one of the
otherwise-useless extra modifier keys.  I chose the one to the right of the
keyboard with a menu symbol on it.  I set this up by putting this in my
.xmodmap:

keycode 117 = Hyper_R
add Mod3 = Hyper_R

Then I had to replicate all of the existing root-keymap bindings in a new
top-keymap with the H- modifier.  It would be been great if I could have
dumped the existing keybindings, and piped them through sed or awk, to do
this.  But doing it by hand was a good way to discover all the commands I
suppose.  Anyway, pressing e.g. Hyper-0 seems a lot simpler than C-t 0,
especially on this cramped keyboard.

I believe there's a simpler way to change C-t to something else.

You can change C-t to another key, but I think it still has to be a prefix that you press-and-release before the command key; you can't change to a modifier key which you hold down with the command key, as I understand it.

5. Say I have four terminals running in four frames.  If I want to "zoom in"
to one of them I can "only" it.  But I don't see a way to "zoom out" again,
i.e. I can't undo or otherwise reverse the "only" command.  Also, maybe I'd
like to really zoom in (i.e. increase the font size).  I could imagine
tiling the window with small terminals, and then zooming in so that the
other terminals are still in the same relative positions but off the screen.
 Does that make any sense to anyone?  Maybe it's not a ratpoison thing, but
I think it could still be useful especially on small screens.

Look for my recent posting of the expose.pl in the archives (last month or the
month before). There might be commands in there to help you do what you want.

I'll have a look, thanks.

6. Totally off-topic: if anyone knows how to change the font size that
Firefox uses for its menu bar and status bar, or better still how to get rid
of the menu bar entirely, I'd love to hear from you!  All those wasted
pixels.....

I would recommend installing the Vimperator plugin. Firefox will then never need
the rat, save for text selection.

Right. Actually I'm not unhappy with the mouse; it's just the screen area that I'd like to get back. BTW since ratpoison is a bit more "Emacs" than "vi", maybe conkeror would be of more interest here than Vimperator?

Thanks,  Phil.