Re: [RP] window list

From: Nikolai Weibull
Subject: Re: [RP] window list
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 18:50:55 +0200

On 8/8/07, Brian May <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2. Often I want to go to a window quickly, and know some of the text
> in the title, but not all of it. If I have many windows open, it
> sometimes can take a while for me to manually search the list for the
> Windows I want to go to.
>
> It would be good if I could somehow use Ctrl+S style searching that
> only shows results that match the search term entered and highlights
> where the match occurred.

For my Alt+Tab replacement on Windows I list all the windows with
numbers on the left.  Then the user has the option of filtering the
list with a prefix string (haven't managed to get a wildcard going,
because the Windows API is incredibly hard to work with) so that you
can either choose a window by number or by filtering the list (and
then either choosing by number or, if there's only one window left
matching the prefix, switch to window by name).

This works well, but I have little use for something similar at home,
running ratpoison, where I have two windows open, a gnome-terminal and
Firefox.  I run screen inside gnome-terminal.  Sometimes I fire up
evince or xpdf to look at a PDF, but managing three windows is, well,
manageable.

I do, however, agree that it could be useful, although I prefer my
Alt+Tab solution over Ctrl+S.

  nikolai