Re: [RP] is this against the philosophy?

From: FEJF
Subject: Re: [RP] is this against the philosophy?
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 19:02:45 +0100

Aaron Griffin, on Saturday, 4. February 2006 01:59 wrote:
> > The fact is that it is the clients' fault.  Categorically.  If we try to
work
> > around their fuckups, they will continue to make fuckups.  The reason
there are
> > so many dodgy HTML pages is because the browsers are forgiving about
policy
> > violations.  We shouldn't be forgiving.  We should fix the clients, or
harangue
> > the developers to fix them.
>
> I agree, but you kinda always have to assume there will be at least
> one fuckup.  The sheer number of broken clients, and the push towards
> the non-managing window manager doesn't help out cause much.  I mean,
> there's alot of high-profile applications which are broken to
> tiling-wm users, but we're a small majority.

I agree too - but till they fix it, it would be good to have a workaround...
As i ran into the same problem i wrote the "manual.transient
patch" ( http://ratpoison.elektrubadur.se/FEJFPatch ). I couldn't use some
apps which auto-minimize themself while Ratpoison auto-maximizes them when
they get minimized -> endless-loop. The manual transient windows are handled
by Ratpoison (I wanted to be able to switch to them) but arent't maximized.

Aaron: Perhaps you can save your work and live with my patch ;) or as a second
option use my patch and extend it with resizing capabilities (missed that
once in my patch - and that wasn't enough to implement it on my own...)

> Gimp has it's jillion windows - suckage.

I configured my gimp to have all functions in 1 window and the pictures in a
second window. you can put the gimp window in a frame on the left and the
picture window on the other frame. works like a charme :) (screenshot
available on my homepage: http://www.fejf.de )

fejf

--
Homer:  Little baby batter,
        Can't control his bladder!

Burns:  Mmm...Crude, but I like it.  What do you say we freshen up out
        little drinkie poos?

Homer:  Don't mind if I do.

                   Dancin' Homer