Re: [RP] Kvällens patchfiler

From: twb
Subject: Re: [RP] Kvällens patchfiler
Date: Sun Feb 8 23:48:03 2004

Quoth Martin Samuelsson <address@hidden> on or about Sun, 08 Feb 2004 21:53:24
+0100:
> On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 05:26:16PM +1100, twb wrote:
> > Does anyone (apart from yourself) actually CARE how RP spells colo[u]r?
>
> Actually, it was quite nice having rp speaking Swedish, but I see your
> point. (:
>
> Compile time language switching is easy enough and could happen this week.
>
> > Is it worth the extra bloat to personalize a few error messages?  I
> > figured anyone WANTING to use RP would probably have sufficient English
> > competency.
>
> It's about english being an inferior language.

No kidding.  I particularly appreciate the consistency of Spanish verb
conjugation.  OTOH, english fits into 7 bits, and it's more culturally
entrenched than Redmond (remember trying to sell the [*] alternative to
the CIO?).

[*]: Insert open system of your choice.

> > If it's merely a question of æsthetics, then by all means. Just that
> > given ratpoison's Spartan design principles, we should only include what
> > we really NEED in the core.
>
> Will this discussion go towards ripping out the message bar now again?

I think I should clarify.  By `need', I mean `>=80% of RP users would
use it every day'.

I can dimly see RP turning into a Chimeral monster like ion(-wm), which
needs a bit of a run-up to get working.  The fundamentally important
modules are mixed up with wmaker docks.  I believe the best way to avoid
this is to

a) Be very careful about what we put in; and
b) When we add something, do it thorougly.

These are the fundamental reasons that apt/dpkg beats rpmfind/rpm (IMO).

-trent
--
<tak>Your mommas so dumb she set her buffer length to a minimal octal
<tak>instead of puging the cache.