[Qemu-discuss] Device model from a dynamically loaded shared library

From: alarson
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Device model from a dynamically loaded shared library
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 22:09:49 -0500

The company I work for uses QEMU as a simulated target for our
operating system products.  Several of our customers would like to
integrate proprietary device models into QEMU, but so far are not
willing to integrate the models directly into QEMU sources.  I think
this is largely a fear of the amount of time it will take to learn the
QEMU sources.

What they are instead asking for is a simple "device add" capability
where they can load a shared library with their code and hook physical
address read and write operations into calls to the simulated devices.

I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar request or comments on
the general idea.  Assuming the idea is not considered obscene we'd
want to submit the resulting changes back to the community.  Whether
we do the changes ourselves or contract with an existing community
member to add the capability is still TBD, as is the exact interface.

Aaron.