Re: [Qemu-discuss] Device model from a dynamically loaded shared library

From: alarson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Device model from a dynamically loaded shared library
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 11:56:07 -0500

"Peter Maydell" <address@hidden> wrote on 02/05/2019 06:36:23
AM:
AL> On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 03:27, <address@hidden> wrote:

AL> What they are instead asking for is a simple "device add" capability
AL> where they can load a shared library with their code and hook physical
AL> address read and write operations into calls to the simulated devices.

PM> Hi -- this idea does come up from time to time, but it isn't
PM> really something we would want to do as a project, I'm afraid.

Peter, thanks for your prompt and thoughtful response.  When this
topic came up several years ago the thought of building and modifying
QEMU was quite challenging.  The progress in simplifying the build and
the improvement of the source code interfaces is quite impressive.
Perhaps they will reconsider.

Aaron.