Re: [Qemu-discuss] Write serial in qemu and read in target

From: Jakob Bohm
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Write serial in qemu and read in target
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 19:39:42 +0200

On 28/08/2014 19:05, Brandon Williams wrote:
Hi there,

I'm trying to figure out a way that I can write to the serial port in a thread that I have made in mac_oldworld and be able to read that serial data from my target program (currently a modified OpenBIOS).

I am writing to the essc in my mac_oldworld thread with this:
        io_mem_write(escc_mem, 48, 36, 1);

I would like to be able to read that byte on the target (OpenBIOS) side. Does anyone have any suggestions?

You are not being clear which of those "worlds" are running
in qemu virtual machines, and which are not.

But assuming the two programs are running in two different
qemu virtual machines, there are qemu options to connect
virtual serial ports over TCP/IP.

For example at one end (the virtual machine started first):

-chardev socket,id=charserial0,host=127.0.0.1,port=12345,server,nowait
-device isa-serial,chardev=charserial0,id=serial0

And at the other end:

-chardev socket,id=charserial0,host=127.0.0.1,port=12345
-device isa-serial,chardev=charserial0,id=serial0

(Choose your own port number in place of 12345).

My example -device options specifies PC style serial
ports, replace with the equivalent option for Mac
serial ports.

Enjoy

Jakob