qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Generically mapping MMIO devices

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Generically mapping MMIO devices
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 21:29:16 +0100

On 3 August 2016 at 21:08, Matthew Garrett <address@hidden> wrote:
> Is there any mechanism for automatically mapping non-PCI MMIO devices
> to an appropriate range? From what I've found so far it seems like
> target machines tend to be responsible for mapping individual devices,
> but I want to make sure that I'm not missing some generic "Just put
> the device in a reasonable MMIO range and tell me where it ended up"
> functionality.

Yes, this is all target-specific: it's the job of the machine
to know what its memory map is (and they're all wildly
different as soon as you leave x86 and its cosy little
"everything looks like a PC" universe ;-)).

(There is the platform-bus infrastructure but that's really
intended for handling pass-through of MMIO devices from the
host, where you'd like the user to be able to specify
passthrough of the device on the commandline without having
to know addresses to put it.)

thanks
-- PMM