qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v1 4/6] target_arm: Update armv7_init to support m

From: Alistair Francis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v1 4/6] target_arm: Update armv7_init to support more parameters
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 09:39:34 +1000

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 11:59 PM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 9 September 2014 14:35, Peter Crosthwaite
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Does ARMv7M actually mandate the existence of RAM and flash like this
>> at all?
>
> No. It does have a well defined address map that pretty
> strongly suggests that you ought to have flash and RAM
> at certain addresses, but the flash and RAM are not part
> of the CPU core itself.
>
> (Bitbanding, on the other hand, is part of the CPU core
> and the memory region setup for it should stay in this
> function.)
>
>> Given the complex setup of STM (with the memory aliases etc)
>> I'm now of the belief that all RAM and FLASH init should be handled by
>> the SoC level.
>
> Agreed.

That makes everything so much easier. I was stuck at how to do the
memory aliasing.
I will move the memory region inits out of the function and put them into
the SoC level.

Is everyone happy enough with then using the armv7_init function as I
have in this
patch (except with out the Flash and SRAM parts)? So both Stellaris
and STM32F205
call the function. The only change from the current implementation
would be the number
of interrupt lines, which would become a parameter.

Thanks,

Alistair