qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Migration ToDo list

From: Chegu Vinod
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Migration ToDo list
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 08:48:10 -0800

On 11/13/2012 8:18 AM, Juan Quintela wrote:
Hi

If you have anything else to put, please add.

Migration Thread
* Plan is integrate it as one of first thing in December (me)
* Remove copies with buffered file (me)

Bitmap Optimization
* Finish moving to individual bitmaps for migration/vga/code
* Make sure we don't copy things around
* Shared memory bitmap with kvm?
* Move to 2MB pages bitmap and then fine grain?

If its not already implied in the above ... the long freezes observed at the start of the migration needs to be addressed (its most likely related to BQL ?).

QIDL
* Review the patches (me)

PostCopy
* Review patches?
* See what we can already integrate?
   I remember for last year that we could integrate the 1st third or so

RDMA
* Send RDMA/tcp/.... library they already have (Benoit)
* This is required for postcopy
* This can be used for precopy

Not sure if what Benoit has can be directly used for pre-copy also.

As Paolo said... we need to look at RDS API's for pre-copy. ('have just started looking at the same). Would like to know if SDP can be used...

General
* Change protocol to:
   a) being always 16byte aligned (paolo said that is faster)
   b) do scatter/gather of the pages?

Control of where the migration thread(s) run...

--

BTW, has anyone tried doing multiple guest migration from a host ? Are there limitations (enforced via higher level management tools) as to how many guests can be migrated at once (in an attempt to quickly evacuate a flaky host) ?

Vinod

Fault Tolerance
* That is built on top of migration code, but I have nothing to add.

Any more ideas?

Later, Juan.
.