qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Migration ToDo list

From: Orit Wasserman
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Migration ToDo list
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 19:09:19 +0200

On 11/13/2012 06:28 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Il 13/11/2012 17:18, Juan Quintela ha scritto:
>> Migration Thread
>> * Plan is integrate it as one of first thing in December (me)
>
> Please make sure to take a look at the latest reviews I sent.
>
>> * Remove copies with buffered file (me)
>
> I also have some prototype of this.
>
>> RDMA
>> * Send RDMA/tcp/.... library they already have (Benoit)
>> * This is required for postcopy
>> * This can be used for precopy
>
> * Investigate RDS (Reliable Datagram Socket, which work on top of both
> TCP and InfiniBand/RDMA.
>
>> General
>> * Change protocol to:
>>   a) being always 16byte aligned (paolo said that is faster)
>
> Well, it's faster with the buffers.  Hopefully they go away and we do
> not have the problem.
>
>>   b) do scatter/gather of the pages?
I would prefer to postpone changing the protocol and start with using iov
(writev)
for sending the pages (still sending header and than the page). Later we can
move to scatter/gather I'm not sure of how large the performance gain will be.

> c) Remove compression of non-zero repetitive pages.
+1
we can look of identify the zero pages without calling is_dup_page which looks
expensive.

Orit