qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: The State of the SaveVM format

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: The State of the SaveVM format
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 09:57:54 -0500

Juan Quintela wrote:
   if (version_id == 3)
       s->scancode_set=qemu_get_be32(f);
   else
       s->scancode_set=2;

Problem here is this value, there is no way to set default values
different of zero.  That is why there is still the old function.

We do this with qdev properties, certainly we could do it with savevm too?

The advantage of doing this with savevm is that it potentially allows for the init and the reset functions to be simplified/eliminated. Even fields that are present in all versions should have the ability to have default values.

In fact, semantically, a field should be zero unless a default value is specified.

I think the discussion around optional features is orthogonal to how
to support older savevm formats so let's keep it separate.  I
generally share your concern about test matrix explosion.

Ok. I am trying to port all the pc.c stuff to new VMState without adding
more marshaling (we already have the old load functions).  After I
finish with that, we can look at the remaining cases and look at a
course of action?

Sounds good to me.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori