qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: The State of the SaveVM format

From: Juan Quintela
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: The State of the SaveVM format
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 11:22:50 +0200

"Michael S. Tsirkin" <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 10:47:27AM +0200, Juan Quintela wrote:
>> More problems: Going from newer versions to old versions
>> - I think that everybody thinks that this is a nice to have, but that it
>>   will took a lot to make it work, and there are more urgent things to
>>   do.
>
> It's actually easy if you make whatever is new in the new version an
> optional feature.  Then to save in an old format, qemu is started with
> the feature disabled.

That only works if invariants are maintained.  That is not true in
general.  And furthermore, you are deciding that if you find a bug, and
fix needs a new field -> just live with the bug.  If you can recreate
the state without the new field, then _why_ did you added it in the 1st place?

Later, Juan.