qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Patch: Adding ability for qemu-img to create SCSI VMwar

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Patch: Adding ability for qemu-img to create SCSI VMware disk images
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 15:01:45 -0500

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 02:52:27PM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
Kevin Wolf wrote:

FWIW, I know that SUSE had a use for these SCSI VMDKs and they carry a
local patch for it. I would prefer to have such things upstream, even if
it's just for exporting. After all, qemu-img is the Swiss army knife for
images.
If there's support for it, we can take it. I worry about adding features that aren't widely useful as they add complexity and make it hard to refactor things.

Introducing BLOCK_FLAG_BUSLOGIC and BLOCK_FLAG_LSILOGIC seems very wrong to me. You're happy with it?

I think the addition of new VMDK specific flags to qemu-img is pretty
wrong too

-           "  create [-e] [-6] [-b base_image] [-f fmt] filename [size]\n"
+           "  create [-e] [-6] [-S] [-L] [-b base_image] [-f fmt] filename
+       "  '-S' indicates that the target image must be a BusLogic SCSI
virtual disk (vmdk format only)\n"
+       "  '-L' indicates that the target image must be a LSI Logic SCSI
virtual disk (vmdk format only)\n"

If we want to expose this capability, then I think we should have some
kind of generic 'feature' string that can be passed through to the specific
block driver, without needing an unbounded number of qemu-img args to be added. eg.

     qemu-img create -o target=buslogic  foo.vmdk
     qemu-img create -o target=lsilogic  foo.vmdk

And just pass the whole value from '-o' through to the block layer's
create method.

You can have the configs be external to vmdk's too, right?

Could we just make configs external to the sparse images so that people could edit them however they wanted?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori
Daniel