qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Patch: Adding ability for qemu-img to create SCSI VMwar

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Patch: Adding ability for qemu-img to create SCSI VMware disk images
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 20:58:19 +0100

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 02:52:27PM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Kevin Wolf wrote:
>
> >FWIW, I know that SUSE had a use for these SCSI VMDKs and they carry a
> >local patch for it. I would prefer to have such things upstream, even if
> >it's just for exporting. After all, qemu-img is the Swiss army knife for
> >images.
> >

> If there's support for it, we can take it.  I worry about adding
> features that aren't widely useful as they add complexity and make it
> hard to refactor things.
>
> Introducing BLOCK_FLAG_BUSLOGIC and BLOCK_FLAG_LSILOGIC seems very wrong
> to me.  You're happy with it?

I think the addition of new VMDK specific flags to qemu-img is pretty
wrong too

-           "  create [-e] [-6] [-b base_image] [-f fmt] filename [size]\n"
+           "  create [-e] [-6] [-S] [-L] [-b base_image] [-f fmt] filename
+       "  '-S' indicates that the target image must be a BusLogic SCSI
virtual disk (vmdk format only)\n"
+       "  '-L' indicates that the target image must be a LSI Logic SCSI
virtual disk (vmdk format only)\n"

If we want to expose this capability, then I think we should have some
kind of generic 'feature' string that can be passed through to the specific
block driver, without needing an unbounded number of qemu-img args to be
added. eg.

     qemu-img create -o target=buslogic  foo.vmdk
     qemu-img create -o target=lsilogic  foo.vmdk

And just pass the whole value from '-o' through to the block layer's
create method.

Daniel