qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Disk integrity in QEMU

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Disk integrity in QEMU
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 17:22:59 +0100

Chris Wright wrote:
> Either wt or uncached (so host O_DSYNC or O_DIRECT) would suffice to get
> it through to host's storage subsytem, and I think that's been the core
> of the discussion (plus defaults, etc).

Just want to point out that the storage commitment from O_DIRECT can
be _weaker_ than O_DSYNC.

On Linux,m O_DIRECT never uses storage-device barriers or
transactions, but O_DSYNC sometimes does, and fsync is even more
likely to than O_DSYNC.

I'm not certain, but I think the same applies to other host OSes too -
including Windows, which has its own equivalents to O_DSYNC and
O_DIRECT, and extra documented semantics when they are used together.

Although this is a host implementation detail, unfortunately it means
that O_DIRECT=no-cache and O_DSYNC=write-through-cache is not an
accurate characterisation.

Some might be mislead into assuming that "cache=off" is as strongly
committing their data to hard storage as "cache=wb" would.

I think you can assume this only when the underlying storage devices'
write caches are disabled.  You cannot assume this if the host
filesystem uses barriers instead of disabling the storage devices'
write cache.

Unfortunately there's not a lot qemu can do about these various quirks,
but at least it should be documented, so that someone requiring
storage commitment (e.g. for a critical guest database) is advised to
investigate whether O_DIRECT and/or O_DSYNC give them what they
require with their combination of host kernel, filesystem, filesystem
options and storage device(s).

-- Jamie