qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Disk integrity in QEMU

From: andrzej zaborowski
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Disk integrity in QEMU
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 11:07:56 +0200

2008/10/10 Anthony Liguori <address@hidden>:
> I think qcow2 will be okay because the only issue is image expansion and
> that is a relatively uncommon case that is amortized throughout the life
> time of the VM.

It's discutible how common this is and if you can count on the
amortization.  I'd say that for most users creating new short-lived
VMs is the bigger slice of their time using qemu.  Fore example think
about the trying out different distros like with free.oszoo.org, most
images there are qcow2.  Similarly trying to install an os and booting
its kernel with different options in sequence, is where waiting is
most annoying.  Also -snapshot uses qcow2.

In any case let's have benchmarks before deciding anything about
chagning the default behavior.  Since about 0.9.0 qemu is going
through a lot of (necessary) changes that in a great part were slow
downs, and they really accumulated.

Regards