qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] c99 or not?

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] c99 or not?
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 23:58:05 +0200

Am 18.08.2008 um 00:33 schrieb François Revol:

As a BeOS and Haiku dev, I'm used to having to "fix" apps back to c89
to get them working with gcc2 because we are forced to stick to it due
to the C++ ABI breackage.
Haiku shall also provice gcc4 soon, and it might be possible to get
gcc4 usable under BeOS, but it's like hunting a fly with a hand
grenade.

It's not just about where variables are declared or how fields are initialized, but also some assumptions that cannot safely be made in ANSI C (iirc someone from Plan 9 had complained, too). Anyway, a lot of code has recently been reworked to consequently use C99 features, so reverting those is unlikely to happen.

QEMU doesn't use C++ to my knowledge, so it should work just fine across ABIs. Just means you'd currently have to cross-compile for Haiku. TCG and the recent addition of a --disable-aio switch for OpenBSD should help with that if you want to do it.

I didn't try to build QEMU on BeOS for quite some time, not even
sure it'd still build. I don't know if Mickael Lotz (BeOS port
maintainer IIRC) has recent builds either.

Michael has apparently posted 0.9.1 on BeBits:
http://www.bebits.com/app/4208

Didn't try it though, I rather run BeOS or Haiku as guests. Michael said his patches were very intrusive, so he doesn't post them here.

Andreas