qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [4932] Preliminary PPC64/Linux host support

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [4932] Preliminary PPC64/Linux host support
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 20:00:13 +0200

Am 26.07.2008 um 19:36 schrieb C.W. Betts:

On Jul 26, 2008, at 7:08 AM, Andreas Färber wrote:

Am 25.07.2008 um 20:18 schrieb malc:

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008, C.W. Betts wrote:

Building it under OS X 10.5.4 doesn't work. After editing the config-host files, I get the following: In file included from /Users/cwbetts/makestuff/qemu-allmac/src/ exec-all.h:320,
            from /Users/cwbetts/makestuff/qemu-allmac/src/vl.c:136:
/Users/cwbetts/makestuff/qemu-allmac/src/qemu-lock.h:216:2: error: #error unimplemented CPU support

After adding
#define __powerpc__ 1
#define __powerpc64__ 1

I don't think it's is a good idea to define these as such, it may confuse other software. You should check the places where they are used and add appropriate checks for either __ppc__ or __ppc64__ respectively (they are never defined at the same time, contrary to Linux).
When ARCH=ppc is defined in config-host.mak, it adds -D__powerpc__ to the compiler command line. However, it doesn't seem to do that when it is defined as ppc64.

Okay, I found it in Makefile.target. The attached patch should define them, let me know if it works.

I also remember seeing __powerpc64__ mentioned in the patch.

On Linux, both __powerpc__ and __powerpc64__ are defined.

However I'm still not comfortable with defining these because they might be used to distinguish between Linux and OSX elsewhere. PowerPC is the only target that does such a hack, so I'd rather eliminate it than extend it...

Andreas