qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Linux kernel image for Emulator - Regd.

From: Laurent Desnogues
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Linux kernel image for Emulator - Regd.
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:35:20 +0200

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Sudheer Papothi
<address@hidden> wrote:
> ARM Linux kernel is built with arm-gnu-eabi  cross  compiler toolchain (from
> code sourcery).
>
> I dont think this will be a problem (correct me if i am wrong). It creates
> normal zImage as well as uImage (with the help of mkimage )

The compiler should not be the problem (at least as long as you
are not targetting armv7 class processor).

> Can you please brief the point "Most implementations will translate that to
> another valid mode, qemu does n't"

If the lower 5 bits written to CPSR don't match valid modes,
most silicon will put another valid mode.  I can't say more, but
this is undocumented behaviour.  As an example (not tested
on realy HW), if you write 0 to the M field of CPSR it will get
translated of 0x10 = user mode. qemu doesn't do that, it just
aborts.

> Can you please  suggest any other options to test/debug my basic linux
> kernel image as I dont have the real hardware yet.

I don't get it, you said the kernel booted on real hardware...

Anyway according to your log your kernel is failing at its
very first instruction (pc = 0x8000).  Are you using a boot
loader?

Laurent