qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Have any ideas about how to detect whether a program is

From: Kevin F. Quinn
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Have any ideas about how to detect whether a program is running inside QEMU?
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 10:20:08 +0200

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 15:18:14 +0800
"James Lau" <address@hidden> wrote:

> My program is a utility for internet payment. It takes an important
> role in the payment process to ensure security.  One of the key
> functions is that the program should detect which machine is paying.

Why does this matter?  Why do you care which machine the user is
using when they pay?  What about people using internet cafes?  Surely
it's the user who is paying, and you need to securely authenticate the
user.  I don't see that whether they're using a virtual machine or not
is relevant.

> So while virtual machine (like QEMU) is present, it can cheat the
> program. Checking the hard disk model, cpu type, and other hardward
> informations makes little sense.  Because the users or the hackers
> can easily modify these informations. So I need a QEMU internal
> checking method that hackers can't easily bypass.

I think you're wasting your time.  Any "internel checking method" will
be easily bypassed anyway.

Kev.