qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VMware Player
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 01:03:36 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006, Oliver Gerlich wrote:

> Johannes Schindelin schrieb:
> >
> > On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, Joe Lee wrote:
> >
> >>BTW, I am curious to know how much would it cost to develop a good
> >>GUI-Frontend for QEMU that would be comparable to VMware. How much man
> >>hours would this likely take?
> >
> > I do not know VMware. Anybody? I would be interested, too, to know how
> > complicated that frontend is...
>
> There are some screenshots of "VMware Workstation" at
> http://www.vmware.com (see Products menu). Didn't find screenshots of
> "VMware Player" there, but Google image search shows a few for "VMplayer".

Thanks. But I would like to know if there is a developer who has
experience with the GUI. It is one thing to see the GUI, another to work
with it.

> > Should not be too difficult to reproduce
> > it in Tcl/Tk (with a proper Tcl script as config format).
>
> If you are familiar with Tcl/Tk, maybe you could give some hints on how
> to embed the Qemu window into such an app?

I would go the easy way: just before starting QEmu, hide the Tk window...
no need for embedding.

Yes, I know this is a lame answer. But I am quite certain that most users
would be happy about it. They do not *need* to do something fancy. They
run the virtual machine, shut it down, and that's it.

Ciao,
Dscho