qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Doing a Tcl/Tk based frontend

From: John Morris
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Doing a Tcl/Tk based frontend
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:52:14 -0500

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 17:29, Oliver Gerlich wrote:

> If you are familiar with Tcl/Tk, maybe you could give some hints on how
> to embed the Qemu window into such an app?

Embedding the emulator's window might not be the best way to attack the
problem.  Especially since you would need to be able to detach it to be
able to go full screen.  I have pondered the Tk frontend idea before so
lemme dump my random thoughts on the subject and see how many holes get
punched in em.

How about one Tk window as a 'master controller' for all VMs and each
running VM opens a new window.  The master window gets a tab for each
running VM and a seperate interpreter spawned to monitor the console
(running on stdin/stdout piped back to Tcl) for events and update the
widgets and send commands in response to user input.  That gets you
media insert/remove, serial port attachment, etc.

Doing it that way means QEMU itself requires no modifications, but might
in reality need some small adjustment to make the console interface more
rigid, otherwise I suspect expect would need to get involved to deal
with communications with with the existing console.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!