qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] qemu-ggi support

From: Bernhard Fischer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] qemu-ggi support
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 17:16:36 +0100

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 03:53:56PM +0100, Oliver Gerlich wrote:

>Bernhard Fischer schrieb:
>> On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 03:30:59PM +0200, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Attached patch adds support to qemu to display via GGI
>>>(www.ggi-project.org).
>>>
>>>GGI has several so called display-targets, i.e. you can render your
>>>application's output to one of
>>>X11
>>>wsfb
>>>vgl
>>>vgagl
>>>vcsa
>>>svgalib
>>>quartz
>>>memory
>>>ipc
>>>glide
>>>fbdev
>>>directx
>>>terminfo
>>>libaa
>>>etc. without the need to port the application to each of these libraries
>>>on your own.
>>

>> In other words, you do not have to write support for e.g. cocoa, curses
>> etc in qemu but can use libgii (the input part) and libggi (the output
>> part) to transparently use the I/O the host-system you are running on
>> does provide.
>
>The many display targets sound nice... but what I'd like to have for
>qemu is a GUI...
>
>IIRC the GUI patches which were posted so far replaced the SDL driver by
>rendering to a GTK widget, because the current way for embedding SDL
>into GTK seems to be somewhat hackish.
>There have been efforts to create a GTK SDL widget, but I don't know if
>that's usable already.
>
>So how could GGI be integrated with eg. a GTK GUI? Is there a way that
>is more "stable" than the current SDL way?

I personally don't need a GUI but want to be able to have qemu
display nicely no matter if i'm on a framebuffer console in linux, or if
i'm in X11 on whatever OS, etc.

Perhaps look at http://www.ggi-project.org/links.html for Toolkits and
Windowing-systems one can use for building a GUI.

>From what i hear there is/was a GGI backand for GTK, but i never used it
myself.

>Regards,
>Oliver
>
>PS: Is there an OpenGL display target for GGI? I couldn't find any hint

There is mesaggi if you'd want to use GGI as a backend for an openGL
implementation. I'm personally not familiar with it, though.

>about that on the homepage, but I think OpenGL is one of the easiest
>ways to get 2d hardware acceleration under X11.

The easiest way to get 2D acceleration in X11 is to use XAA et al.
GGI's display-x is generally as fast as your Xserver's 2D primitives.