qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] qemu-ggi support

From: Oliver Gerlich
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] qemu-ggi support
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 15:53:56 +0100

Bernhard Fischer schrieb:
> On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 03:30:59PM +0200, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Attached patch adds support to qemu to display via GGI
>>(www.ggi-project.org).
>>
>>GGI has several so called display-targets, i.e. you can render your
>>application's output to one of
>>X11
>>wsfb
>>vgl
>>vgagl
>>vcsa
>>svgalib
>>quartz
>>memory
>>ipc
>>glide
>>fbdev
>>directx
>>terminfo
>>libaa
>>etc. without the need to port the application to each of these libraries
>>on your own.
>

> In other words, you do not have to write support for e.g. cocoa, curses
> etc in qemu but can use libgii (the input part) and libggi (the output
> part) to transparently use the I/O the host-system you are running on
> does provide.

The many display targets sound nice... but what I'd like to have for
qemu is a GUI...

IIRC the GUI patches which were posted so far replaced the SDL driver by
rendering to a GTK widget, because the current way for embedding SDL
into GTK seems to be somewhat hackish.
There have been efforts to create a GTK SDL widget, but I don't know if
that's usable already.

So how could GGI be integrated with eg. a GTK GUI? Is there a way that
is more "stable" than the current SDL way?

Regards,
Oliver

PS: Is there an OpenGL display target for GGI? I couldn't find any hint
about that on the homepage, but I think OpenGL is one of the easiest
ways to get 2d hardware acceleration under X11.