qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: QEMU 0.7.2

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: QEMU 0.7.2
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:43:54 -0400

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 06:55:14PM -0400, Karl Magdsick wrote:
> > (SDL is more-or-less considered obsolete in general, iiuc Fabrice wants the
> > windows port of qemu to use the Win32API natively to handle graphics, while
> > on *nix systems an X toolkit (such as Qt or GTK) is preferred.)
>
> Out of curiosity, has GTK on Win32 been considered?
>

> -Karl

Yes, but many primary Windows users (those who use Windows as their main OS)
have objections. Things such as: GTK libs and friends are too large just for
qemu,
that having to install them would confuse a newbie user, using the native win32
GUI will look more natural, etc. I believe that Fabrice prefers a native win32
GUI but he is ok with using a GTK GUI on Windows. (Basically, he just wants
something that is functional.)

The GTK code I wrote should work equally well when compiled on Windows, though I
currently don't know anyone who uses it there. (My one tester reported that the
computer he had installed qemu on had some sort of hard disk failure iirc.)