qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: QEMU 0.7.2

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: QEMU 0.7.2
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:07:33 -0400

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 10:45:29PM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Jim C. Brown wrote:
>
> If I understand this correctly, you have multiple processes displaying
> to the same widget?

Currently, yes.

The eventual goal is to manage multiple windows as well, so you can see more
than one guest at a time.

> Seems like it would be a lot easier if each process had it's own
> Socket/Plug pair and then just make use of something like GtkNotebook.

Agreed. The reason I didn't try that was because I didn't know was GtkNotebook
was. What would be really slick would be to be able to do what gaim does, drag
and drop tabs across different windows or even drag a tab out of a window
in order to create a new one.

> >>There can then be separate GTK/QT guis without QEMU having to support
> >>both widget sets.
> >>

> >Or either (except some minimal GDK and the GtkPlug). There are definite
> >advantages to going this route.
> >

> Yeah, I do like this approach quite a bit.  My only concern would be the
> performance of XShmImage vs whatever SDL is using.

I did not do any benchmarks but there does not seem to be any noticable speed
differences.