qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Looking for an easy way to exchange data bidirectional

From: Christian MICHON
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Looking for an easy way to exchange data bidirectional between host and guest (including some suggestion)
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 23:29:28 +0200

On 6/11/05, Jim C. Brown <address@hidden> wrote:
> I agree. While I believe this can be worked around (given a cooperative ftpd),
> having a child process for every data connection is really not worth the
> trouble. It's just too ugly. Besides, not every system will have an ftpd
> installed.

since we already have a 32Mb limited tftp, could we make it first
read-write? at least, this would validate what's theoretically
possible, and we could use this rw tftp to develop/debug the
later ftp.

I had a look at the code, and can't figure out where the original
tftp command like 'get' and 'put' are parsed inside the tftp.
Apparently, it's just a question of recognising the 'put' cmd,
then open/create a file on the host matching the tftp
arguments, and that'll be it.

Magnus would be the best person to do this, since it's his
code.

Why do I still think rw tftp could be of any use ?

I personally am using on XP host linux guest doing
kernel compilation. Once the kernel is done, I have 2
scenario:

1) move the compiled kernel to a vfat partition, shutdown
the qemu guest, use winimage to extract the kernel, launch
another qemu guest to test my latest kernel

2) lauch qemu within qemu. Slow square time :( no kqemu for
windows hosts yet

The 3rd possibility would be to use a tftp put back to the host,
and launch a second qemu guest in parallel.

Christian