qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Looking for an easy way to exchange data bidirectional

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Looking for an easy way to exchange data bidirectional between host and guest (including some suggestion)
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 14:24:39 -0400

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 11:45:40PM +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Jim C. Brown wrote:
>
> >Hmm...what if you don't have root/administrator access? It could still
> >work if
> >you are determined enough, but thats not the sort of thing you want to
> >force
> >onto a beginner.
>
> Then write a suitable wrapper install package around a suitable small FTP
> daemon allowing beinners to set it up on a non-root port using user-net
> port redirection options to hide this for the guest.

Next to impossible to do portably. I am not sure how user-net port redirection
even enters the picture - once the FTP daemon is set up, the guest sees
the FTP server on the host (admittedly on a nonstandard port, but is that
such a big deal?).

I agree that this is a better option than shoving all that FTP server code
into qemu, but I think that this is still overkill.

> Or spend some time on the generalised user-net pipe support mentioned
> earlier allowing the SMB suppor to be more easily configured/tailored.

Yuck...

> FTP unfortunately doesn't fit in the user-net pipe framework due to it's
> (ftp) broken design (data channel mess).

Can you explain what you mean here?

<list of protocols to be used via user-net deleted>

Making any of these builtin is overkill considering what we already have.
Setting these up externally is less overkill, but still...

> >Of course, that doesn't apply if you cant use SMB, as was this person's
> >case.
> >(Does the SMB support in qemu even work on Windows hosts?)
>
> The SMB glue is for all hosts except Windows. On Windows you have to use
> the native SMB filesharing.
>
> In theory it may be possible to enable the SMB glue on Windows as well,
> but this requires a working Samba on Windows..

I meant using native Windows SMB functionablity, not Samba ... but someone
else replied saying that would only work if given administrator access,
which makes it a moot point.

So this is not a portable solution. Samba may not be the best solution anyways,
since it provides a Windows-specific network filesystem...though Samba 3
provides Unix extensions.

> >Giving the TFTP write access is probably the way to go (iirc this person
> >would
> >have used TFTP in lieu of FTP, except that write access was required which
> >made
> >TFTP a non-option).
>
> Extending the existing TFTP code to also provide write access is higly
> preferable to adding a user-net FTP emulation in my eyes. Shouldn't be
> more than one or at most two screens of code.

Right, I'm looking into doing that right now.