qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Sponsorship for QEMU Developers...

From: Robert Wittams
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Sponsorship for QEMU Developers...
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 11:42:59 +0000

Leonardo E. Reiter wrote:
Robert,

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/license.html

Specifically:

The following points clarify the QEMU licenses:

* The QEMU virtual CPU core library (libqemu.a) and the QEMU PC system emulator are released under the GNU Lesser General Public License.

The Linux user mode QEMU emulator is the only GPL'd bit. We do not enable that.

Let me state my intentions again: we want to do everything we can to sponsor QEMU to make it better and keep it free. We are not interested in stealing its code and selling it. The closed-source value added functionality that we sell is entirely home-grown, and we have taken all the precautions necessary to avoid contamination. We would also like to contribute significantly ourselves in the form of code. For example, a patch that converts the QEMU library and PC emulator into a shared library could be useful for many other projects, not just Win4Lin. While we don't expect Fabrice to admit it officially, we will certainly offer it to the community. Like that piece, there will be others as well.

- Leo Reiter

Ah fine. Sorry, I was misled by your strange "we don't use the header files" justification. I have no idea why you are doing all that if all the bits you are linking to are LGPL.