qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Mac keyboard not supported

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Mac keyboard not supported
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:01:09 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005, Laurent Amon wrote:

> I agree that this is not the best of solutions but just a quick hack to
> make qemu useable on the mac.
> However, I am not sure the SDL guys are quick at applying patches and I
> do not even think SDL will ever give correct results on the mac, unless
> there is a major rework.

I don't think the SDL guys are slow. And it is no major rework. It is one
file, one function, and if I'm correct, just deletion of 3 lines -- and it
should be a lot easier than replicating a whole keymap.

> Actually, to make a perfect keyboard emulation on the mac would need to
> work at the Carbon level (to differenciate between the left and right
> modifier keys) and remap everything correctly to a PC keybord (taking
> into account whether the modifier keys are active, since some
> characters are placed differently from  a PC keyboard. Not a simple
> project and since my developer skills are quite rusty (and I never was
> a Mac programmer), I'll stick to simple things. If anybody wants to
> tackle this, either at the qemu or at the SDL level, you're welcome.

For normal users, there is no need to differentiate between left and right
modifier keys. Also, it is not important to have exactly the same mapping
as on PC, but only that if you hit a key (e.g. '/') that the guest
actually understands the same key ('/'). No more, no less.

> I also agree that patching SDL is a better solution. On the other hand,
> you would have to include specially patched SDL binaries when you
> distribute a binary on FreeOSZoo. And people tracking CVS would also
> have to patch and compile SDL (actually, there are a couple things to
> patch in QuartzGL anyway, so...).

The keysym support in SDL is *broken*. It only works on English keyboards
right now (meaning ASCII characters). And that means *every single* app
using SDL. It stays that way unless somebody with a Mac (provide me one
and I'll do it!) goes and fixes it. And yes, unless the good SDL people
decide to release (after a patch was sent to them), you'd have to
distribute a patched SDL (which would of course, being patcheed, break all
apps using SDL -- NOT!).

Ciao,
Dscho