qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] VNC patch, the 3rd version

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: [Qemu-devel] VNC patch, the 3rd version
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 20:18:10 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

in the attached patch you can find the support for VNC, which includes
portable keyboard support for SDL on non PC architectures.

Changes as compared to the 2nd version of the patch:
- cleanups (wine's keyboard support was dropped)
- keymaps from rdesktop are included
- SDL portable keyboard support added (you don't need LibVNCServer for
        that)
- incorporated Jim's synaptic patch
- applies cleanly against CVS as of now (use patch -p1, else the keymaps
        mess up your directory)

There is a problem with the synaptic patch: If I read it correctly, the
absolute flag cannot be set to 1. There is simply no line which can do
that.

Jim, if you read this, can you help a mediocre programmer and enlighten me
how to use your work?

Also, I was only able to test the SDL portable keyboard support using
DISPLAY=my_IRIX_machine. I had two problems with this IRIX machine: I
could not compile qemu on it, although I read something about MIPS
support, but then, I did not try very hard. The other problem I had: when
using "-vnc-and-sdl", SDL displayed everything more or less correctly, but
when I did not use vnc at all, SDL displayed only a black rectangle...
Strange. No such problem on my i386 Linux.

Another idea which hit me: I am not convinced that without guest drivers,
the synaptic patch helps VNC's mouse. So why not use the
graphical feedback when using the mouse to determine where the guest
cursor is now (and how far it lags behind/runs in front)? I know, it is
less than clean, but it would be fun! I think I will try it if nobody
yells at me.

Ciao,
Dscho