pspp-users

Re: means procedure

From: Zoltan Fabian
Subject: Re: means procedure
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:37:24 +0100

Hi,
It is indeed confusing. User guide (version 0.8.4) writes:

"More than one table can be specified in a single command. Each table is separated by a ‘/’. For example
MEANS TABLES =
c d e BY x
/a b BY x y
/f BY y BY z.
has three tables (the ‘TABLE =’ is optional). The first table has three dependent variables c, d and e and a single categorical variable x. The second table has two dependent variables a and b, and two categorical variables x and y. The third table has a single dependent variables f and a categorical variable formed by the combination of y and z." (p. 139)

The emphasis is on the third table. PSPP produces two tables for means of f by y and mean of f by x, rather than one for mean f by combination of y and z. SPSS *can* do it. I have attached two sample outputs. One for PSPP, and one for SPSS.
It would be very useful to resolve this issue.

Cheers,

Zoltan