pspp-users

Re: pspp and cairo

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: pspp and cairo
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 13:37:27 +0000

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 02:12:52PM +0100, Rob Malpass wrote:

     I thought I'd try compiling the pspp source tarball but ./configure is
     complaining it can't see cairo and pango - but I have installed both via
     synaptic and reran configure.   What else do I need to do?

Probably you have the cairo and pango  libraries installed, but you don't have
the
headers.  In most operating systems you have to install what they call the
"development" versions.  Eg: apt-get install libpango1.0-dev

     * the windows version is 0.7.8 which is recent enough but very buggy in
     other respects (e.g. the file requester seems very strange compared to
     others e.g. not displaying certain files when I know they're in the right
     folder)

I recall that some time ago there was a problem in Harry's windows binary (if
that's
what you're installing) where it ignored the mimetypes.  Maybe that's what
you're
seeing.  But I think he fixed it in his 0.7.9 offering, so I suggest you try
that.

     * the default Linux version is 0.6.2 which is old and doesn't have much of
     the functionality I need.

This is true.  You can try an alpha version available from  ftp://alpha.gnu.org
which has a lot more functionality, but ...  it's alpha.  Caveat Emptor!

     * the tarball binary version seems to produce executables which don't do
     anything

I'm not sure to which tarball or which executables you are refering.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
See http://keys.gnupg.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.