pspp-dev

Re: New sheet implementation possibilities

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: New sheet implementation possibilities
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 16:01:29 -0800

On Sun, Jan 03, 2016 at 09:14:16PM +0100, John Darrington wrote:
> Based on recent conversations, I am of the opinion that the listbox approach
> (which I linked to earlier) is likely to be better in the long term than
> anything based on GtkTreeView
>
> Accordingly I have hacked up a demo based on that code.  This shows how a
> sheet can be created with an arbitrary number of rows and columns and in
> constant time and space.
>
> If you are interested, check it out at
> http://darrington.wattle.id.au/efficient-sheet-0.0.tar.gz
>

> The nice thing is, that it is O(1) in the number of rows and columns
> (assuming that
> the total rows/columns exceed the number of visible rows/columns).

It sounds very nice.

It seems that it requires a newer version of GObject (2.44+) than I have
on my system (2.42), based on its use of GListModel
G_DECLARE_FINAL_TYPE, so I can't easily compile it.  I guess if we're
going to require a new Glib, then I'll have to upgrade to Debian
"testing" or "unstable".  I'm willing to do that; I hope that it's not a
big deal for our users.