pspp-dev

Output format for p-values

From: Douglas Bonett
Subject: Output format for p-values
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 10:33:36 -0700

I am using PSPP in an undergrad social science stat course with 110 students. These students only use PSPP in GUI mode. We are evaluating PSPP as a possible replacement for SPSS in our undergraduate courses.  After two weeks of use, here are two issues that the students are complaining about:

1)  p-values are displayed in default F8.2 format and they need to report them with 3 decimal places. This will be another problem when we get to correlations and they need to report correlation estimates with 3 decimals (remember they are only using point and click options). Maybe changing to F7.3 for p-values and correlations would be an easy fix.

2)  when entering data, they get the following error message when then move to a new column:

                 warning: Data is not valid as format F: Number followed by garbage.

Both issues are minor but in the minds of these types of students they think their program is "broken" or "full of bugs".

Doug